Saturday, February 24, 2007

Lost in the Technology - Part 1

Is it my age? Is it the fact that I entered the workforce before personal computers came onto the scene? How about my fundamental intelligence? Maybe it is some kind of wiring that I lack? Whatever the cause, the effect is that sometimes I feel lost in the technology. Strange to admit for whom some would term a technologist. Not me, I am a tool user. A technology-enabled business guy.

Doesn't everyone except a very few feel the same regarding the explosion of technology in our modern world? I have to believe that some experience it much worse than I do. I suppose they are not so much lost in technology as never having ventured into that dark forest.

Would it be more appropo to refer to it as uncharted waters? No, on the ocean there is nothing more than the expanse of water, unceetain winds, unfavorable currents, storm and sun. The forest or jungle may have beasts, lions and tigers and bears, oh my. Also plants, insects and microbes, all ready to heal or to kill. Yes, a technology jungle, that works.

OK, back to being lost. Back to being a tool user. Hammers and wrenches are easy. The function is pretty obvious as is the method of use. What about technology? I guess people create tools from technologythat have recognizable form and use.

Maybe it's the raw materials itself that I lament. What specific technologies you may ask? RSS, Feeds, XML, Apache/Tomcat, and that is just from this afternoon. I am certain I can learn, but do I really need to know metalurgy, physics, and physiological biomechanics to use a hammer to drive a nail? I guess it wouldn't hurt. I need some downtime for a little while. I will be back to continue this later... (attribution for photo, Kevin MacDowell from http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmacdowell/108419729/)

To be continued...

No comments: