Thursday, April 12, 2007

Tales from the Train - Executive Coaching

I only have about 15 minutes for this blog post as we just stopped at the Newark Penn Station and soon will be heading to NYC. I wanted to write a little just to keep the blog pump primed.

I was writing in the journal we have asked to keep associated with a pilot team coaching program. A group of Directors from each of the units will meet once per week until the end of June to advance our capabilities with leadership in team settings.

The journaling is tied in to developing better self-awareness. Rather than do it by hand in a paper journal I would rather blog it, but the self-discovery may not be something I should reveal web-wide. I'll certainly bring over pertinent things I can share.

We also will be doing assessment tools like Myers-Briggs, DISC, and hopefully Strengths-Finders. My own Strengths Revolution is proceeding at Columbia through exposure to leadership, and my work team. It is fun to self identify and observe in others when we are working to our strengths.

This morning I observed myself being a Maximizer. Yesterday I pointed out a coworker being Competitive, and another is often using her Restorative abilities. I need to log various people's strengths so I can better see them in action. For one person, the people strengths of Individualization, Relator, and Woo are a very powerful set (you know who you are).

Well, that's all I have time for as we dive under the Hudson. All the best for you on this rainy Thursday. Keep working to your strengths every day.

No comments: