Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Think, Hope, or Believe

I was asked recently if I think a highly desired outcome would happen. The question got me thinking about the subject of thought (reasoning), hope (wish), and belief (confidence) and which is the best predictor or preparation for an outcome.

As an optimist by nature I tend to believe in positive outcomes, particularly in matters involving right and wrong, or good or evil. I'm built that way. I read somewhere recently that people with even an unrealistic positive view tend to be right more often in part because they influence the outcome in that direction. Positivity creates good results because it influences people to those ends.

I also admit that I have never understood negative people or skeptics. Who would want to live expecting the worst in all things and situations?

Next there is rational thought to assess the likely outcome. That is an equally tricky one in that it is based on knowing all the possible variables and having a large amount of experience to determine the results.

To be continued...

No comments: