Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Dan's 2008 Bat

This is what I created to give to Dan to celebrate is amazing baseball season. I bought a Mizuno maple bat at Dick's Sporting Goods and used a wood burning tool to inscribe the results of his first college baseball season. .403 refers to his finishing batting average (the last person to hit .400 in major league baseball was Ted Williams - I think) which by itself was incredible. The fact that he hit 5-6 during his final two games to achieve that is also remarkable.

I inscribed the bat with .403 as you can see, and also 50H for 50 hits, 21 RBI, and 17 SB for stolen bases. I also wrote his name, 2008, and his school along the top of the circle.

It was a good thing that I created this for him as he was overlooked for any real recognition by his coach and the conference he plays in. Even though he was 2nd in hitting the Rookie of the Year went to a player who was well down in the ranks. Its all politics.

I reminded him that no one can take away his stats and what he accomplished this year. Good going Dan!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does that bat signify?? I am assuming it is a baseball bat of some sort. Can you tell I am NO baseball pro...but knowing how much baseball means to all of the the Etherton boys, I am guessing it is some sort of award or milestone that someone has achieved. (Actually it reminds me of a Lebanon Bologna.... hehe...just kidding!)

Anonymous said...

Wow...I had no idea that was something you made! Dan is a very lucky young man to have such a loving and supportive father. I'm sure it means alot to him, just knowing that you took the time to create that for him! Congratulations on your acomplishments, Dan!!!