Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Tales from the Train - Unable to Breathe

So here it is, the first real occasion of an overly packed train on my
morning commute that is causing major respiratory discomfort. Well,
there was the incident in winter when I ditched my choice seat so as not
to endure a blabby commuter with a bad case of rightious indignation and
so I spent 20 minutes in sub-zero temperature in the vestibule between
rail cars.

This time is different. Now it is summer, albeit not a particularly hot
day in July. This crowd condition involves a big commuter who rides a
bicycle to the station and then gets on a train for a one hour commute.
What is he thinking? There is not enough Tag or whatever heavy duty
deoderant in existence to keep that odor in check.

The question is, can I hold my breath for an hour. I hesitate typing
more as the physical activity of pressing buttons may drive up my
metabolism.

The really difficult thing is the other commuter that wedged into the
seat for four that truly only accomodates two. That person sighs and
shifts and does this irritating sotto voce commentary. I just continue
to hold my breath.

Wish me luck.

No comments: