Sunday, December 30, 2007

Tales from the Train - Training to Work on Sunday

It's been a while since I went to work on a weekend. Normally 5 days a week is plenty for my four hour round trip commute. I wanted to take Friday off so as to be at the J-Street home for the long-awaited arrival of the kitchen countertop so I chose to defer coming to work until Sunday morning.

I didn't get up as early as I had hoped and so am taking an 8:40 semi-express to NYC. I should have thought about the day-trippers that would be going to the city at this time. The train is now full but luckily I have avoided the interlocking knee situation.

Today is Sunday, December 30, and I need to get my office organized and cleaned-up for the new year. I am going to work to be more paperless in 2008, planning to get a scanner so as to digitize notes and non-electronic documents. I also need to work out an online file and document storage approach that will work for easy access and good organization of information. I am undecided whether to use a shared drive on the Columbia server, the personal workspace feature on Sakai, or some other online file storage approach.

Well, it looks like with the number of people getting on the train at Metropark I need to close now. More later...

Whew, I dodged the bullet on that one. I think people were trying to get the front of the train as an announcement sent people to the rear of the train where there are rumored to be plenty of seats available. A strange commuting phenomenon is that people will cram themselves together at the front of the train to save walking an extra 100 feet at the station. I guess that is similar to how people cluster in parking lots waiting to get a close in spot even though the walk from farther out would be mere minutes. People...

Well, it is two days until 2008 so I have to figure out how I am going to make this year different (and better) than any other. I suppose a good blog post for tomorrow would be my new year's resolutions so I can state them for the record with hopes of accomplishing them. I will give that thought the remainder of the day and come up with a good but manageble list. I hope others do the same.

Enjoy the final days of 2007 and I wish you a wonderful and special new year. Make it so!

No comments: