Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dan's article, Dan's accomplishment

What can I say? What can I write? Rookie of the Week for the entire freaking conference? Has at least one hit in every game of the 7 game spring trip to Florida. I will have to check to see that he may have hit safely in every game he has played so far this year. A consecutive game hitting streak? WOW! Pinch me. More importantly stop me, don't jinx a streak. Everyone in baseball knows that.

I can only imagine what is going through Dan's head. He was so funny on Sunday when we were having lunch. So laid-back, so calm and within himself. So Dan. Two things are worth writing down to commit to the future.

"Dad, you know I figured it out?" Dan said.

"Figured out what?" I asked.

"I just hit fastballs. That is the secret" he replied.

"Oh, OK, That sounds simple," I remarked, amazed that he could figure something out that sounded so simple but others have such a problem with. Just hit the fastballs. It makes sense. Why would anyone ever want to hit something curvy or slurvy or slidey or sinky or changey? Just hit the fastballs. Hear that major league guys?

The other one was about his pre-at-bat routine. This one he told me he shared with a player friend who was struggling at bat and asked for advice. He told his friend, "put the Bratt's bat on the left side of the warm-up circle, put the regular bat on the right side. Swing the Bratt's bat five times in a circle with the left arm and then five times with the right. Take three swings with the Bratt's bat, then two swings with the regular bat and then go in and get a hit."

With that action he is showing what seasoned athletes do in establishing a routine and regimen that brings forward the ability to focus completely. Who taught him that? Not me, not coaches, no one, he figured this out himself because it makes sense to him. He very easily enters the moment and that is what success in his sport is all about. Entering the moment at the plate where there is nothing but him and the pitcher, even remove the pitcher and it's just him and the ball. Here comes the fastball that he is looking for and sees with his spectacular vision and "bam" there the ball goes. And run to first base really fast. Like I said before, simply amazing.

The great afterword is that he said the friend took his advice and not only went three for three in batting, he also played much better defensively after struggling before. And that is Dan, too, completely unselfish. Love you, Dan. Keep doing what you are doing, keep being Dan.

No comments: