Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Late night news from Dan

So I was anxiously awaiting the call last night from Dan after his games yesterday. After how well he did down in Florida and then going 0-6 in the two games played last week I was a little worried that his streak had come to an end. Well, the streak had but that didn't mean his hitting had come to an end. I just didn't want to focus too much on it.

I got the call around 9:00 and in typical Dan fashion he beat around the bush for a while telling me the game results, one win and one loss, what position he played, left field, and so forth. I finally asked how he hit and he told me, again quite too casually about hitting either 3 or 4 for 6 with 2 walks. He then said, "Dad, I have something for you." "What is that?" I asked. "A home run ball," he replied.

I went crazy of course, "No you didn't!, No you didn't" I remember shouting into the phone. Maybe the young man is the real deal after all. I was quietly amazed that he is batting in the clean-up slot since he has never been one that I would call a power hitter. I could see him hitting 1, 2, or 3, but clean-up? Wow! A home run? Amazing! I could just imagine him trotting around the bases. well, running as his coach would never allow grand-standing.

Anyway, he promised the home run ball to me but I may see if he wants to give it to Courtney instead. I would treasure it, of course, but hearing about it from him was something quite special in itself.

OK, I am going to see if they updated the game results and stats on the CHC website by now. Of course it is way too early since they got home late last night but there is nothing wrong with being impulsive.

Before I close I should mention Steve as he has been eclipsed a little lately. The week of such good news about Dan was also met with equally bad news about Steve in that he has Mono. He is side-lined for at least a couple of weeks and this the week before his high school baseball season starts. He was doing so well in his preparation for his sophomore year so the news was quite devastating.

I did take him yesterday to watch his high school team play against Lawrenceville Prep and he seemed to have fun getting out of the house for the first time since Thursday. Both the JV and Varsity lost their games and the coaches really need Steve back on the team to pitch and play. He has to take it slow, though, to make certain there is no complication or relapse. I hope he will be able to play some within two weeks.

OK, that's it for now. That is my baseball report for the baseball that matters the most to me. Great news, tough news, but what is great with baseball you get to play again, and again, and again. Love you Dan, love you Steve for your triumphs and trials and yes, love you Vincent for the accomplishments that are ahead of you. In baseball or in life.

No comments: