Thursday, September 13, 2007

Tales from the Train - What is Facebook Anyway?

I am beginning this tale from the train on Wednesday evening however since we just departed Princeton Junction bound for Hamilton as the next stop I only have five minutes to begin. I'll write more on the train tomorrow morning. This tale poses the question, what is Facebook anyway and what is it good for?

I started my FB presence several days ago and have amassed an amazing two friends, count them, two. Of course I have to say that these two first FB friends are true real-world friends and I would feel uncomfortable beginning this journey of discovery and experience. I look at one site and see a particular kind of presence. Lots of friends from a home he left and photos of a particular subject I know to be a significant interest. In fairness the other friend is from a newbie like myself and so her site is pretty stark for now. But still the question, what and why?

My sons each have FB sites but I want them to experience this social environment without the feeling I am looking over their shoulder. There is some risk in that from a parental point-of-view (especially over-protective types or helicopter parents) but part of the good thing about social networking is the peer correcting aspect.

So I have these basic questions and the two ways I know to answer them is to research it and experience it. Oh, I could also solicit other people's ideas, experiences, and opinions of others. Yes, I welcome your comments about this. I admit I still write this blog with the thought that I am speaking to myself. I do want comments, exchange, discussion, and sharing from people with different points-of-view.

And so the experience begins. The research begins. Hopefully your involvement begins. Help me make sense of this puzzling thing. You can see the direct link to my Facebook site over in the left margin of this blog. Follow that if you wish.

Become my friend?

No comments: