Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Starting my own Strengths Movement -- The Beginning

If you follow this blog you have probably read the two previous articles about Marcus Buckingham and know the value I place in his views on management, leadership, and personal success. Now is the time to put this into action. To go beyond the book theory.

The book, "Go, Put Your Strengths To Work," describes a 6 week program to put my strengths to work. This series of blog postings will chronicle my experience in doing precisely that. Marcus had a great line about putting on your own oxygen mask first. While I could bring this directly to my work team I will follow that suggestion and get the oxygen flowing in my life, and then share with others.

The optimist in me wants this to be something that changes my life in what I can accomplish and the value I can bring. The skeptic worries about it being another program. I have certainly encountered many in my year of train reading. Another quote from Marcus, "programs start large and finish small, movements start small and finish large." Here's to finishing large.

The first action is the take the Strengths Engagement Track (SET) survey to establish my starting point. I will sign on to the SimplyStrengths website tomorrow and take that and will post the results.

This will mark the beginning of my journey to using my strengths. As is common at the beginning of any journey, I experience conflicting emotions, anticipation and anxiety, wonder and realization.

Feel free to take this journey as well. Others' voices are equally important as my own. Come aboard. Comment, Interact, Participate!

No comments: