Thursday, March 01, 2007

Manager Lesson of the Week

I should have listened more closely to not only the content of the manager-tools podcast about Peers in Conflict and the impact on Direct Reports (Part 1 and Part 2). I often rely on the mystical way I select books to read that provide a timely lesson. Why should I assume that podcasts wouldn't also be presented when I most need it?

As you can imagine I encountered the very situation this week that was the subject of the podcast. What were the main lessons of the podcast? The way to do it? The main suggestions are to 1) shut up about peer conflict, 2) filter out emotions, 3) focus on the work, 4) turn the other cheek, 5) instruct them to ask again, 6) help Directs with communication, 7) keep you tightly posted, 8) if cycle repeats then call, and 9) keep a record.

One of the funniest parts of the podcast was about a subordinate who wrote to the speaker's peer, "If you were an effective manager..." The Dilbertian response would likely be, "If you still worked here..." They also presented a great contrast of communication between High D and High S and vice versa, which is a good lead into the DISC assessment area (to be discussed in a future post).

The site www.manager-tools.com has a wealth of good and useful podcasts within the vein of manager and leader development. Each podcast is 10 to 20 minutes addressing specific topics. The podcasters Mark and Mike are also quite entertaining and engaging as well as have great suggestions and ideas.

To sum up my lesson of the week, here is a quote from the 'cast, "You don't want your boss involved in a conflict between you and your peer." Solid advice. Learn it, live it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

David-

As a huge Dilbert fan, I love your response to the "if you were an effective manager...". CLASSIC!

Glad you're getting value from our work - that's why we do it.

Mark Horstman
Manager Tools

David Etherton said...

Mark,

I am very new to blogging and so I hope I gave the proper attribution. I will add you guys names as your podcasts are among the best I can imagine. I have been using your wisdom within my workplace, for the juggling koan and also how to give presentations.

Keep up the great work as you make my 4 hours of commute per day valuable for my professional development. Thanks for the comment.