Sunday, March 11, 2007

Do You Do What You Do Best Everyday?

More accurately put, the core question to moving from an 'improve your weaknesses, balance yourself' mentality to a strengths-based philosophy is "Do you have the opportunity to do what you do best every day?" Whether your employer supports it, you demand it, or possibly the fates have smiled upon you, are you working where your strengths can be used every day?

That is a very unusual and fundamental question. If yes, you must be happy, successful, productive, healthy, and an inspiration to others. Research indicates that less than 20% of people can answer that question with "yes."

A case in point is my own recent career path. Struggling and miserable at my previous job, flourishing and excited about my current job. What is the core difference? The answer came to me as one of those "ah-hah" moments.

I was looking at my Strengthsfinder results written on the white-board in my conference room along with the dominant strengths from another person. I was trying ot explain the concept to my work team to get them excited about participating in this movement.

I suddenly realized why there was a seeming night-and-day difference from previous place to new. My old position did not support a single strength in a consistent way. No matter how I tried to contribute within my strengths, I was beaten back in the areas specific to my core being, namely strategic, futuristic, ideation, maximizer, achiever (and adding input and adaptability with the retake).

My new place allows me the opportunity to do what I do best every day along every line of strength. Can it be that simple?

Another test -- a colleague that indicated as a match with me with Strategic and Maximizer, but added the people-relating strengths including Relator, Individualization, and Woo. It is not a surprise to me that while she was effective in her previous assignment, she is also flourishing with the re-structuring I put in place. Her strengths in the 'people' aspects are a clear advantage and while she does much more than previously, she does it with energy and seems thrilled.

Also in Marcus Buckingham's terminology for the difference between great managing and great leading she exhibits strengths in managing, namely being able to get the most out of each individual related to the needs of the organization. I am more fascile with leadership -- seeing the desired future state and creating the plan and approach to move the team or organization toward that vision.

This is profound stuff but is simply a starting point. I will be moving forward to supercharge this. The future I want to create requires that increase in horsepower and effectiveness. That is the key to the success that I want to create.

I encourage you each to pursue this as well. Take the Strengthsfinders 2.0 survey, become familiar with Marcus Buckingham work through 'The One Thing...' If this resonates with you as clearly as it does with me, join the movement. A note to cynics, keep plodding along questioning everything. There are uses for your strengths as well. I will may want to hire you as my lawyer when my company goes public. Cheers, all!

No comments: