Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Strengths Starting Point - My Beginning SET

The dial to the left is my starting point Strengths Engagement Track (SET). Not too bad although I believe both the present and the future levels are a little high since I knew some of the answers. The challenge for me will be to learn the lessons as if I had not been privy to where this is heading. I did have a little difficulty selecting between once-a-week and once-a-day for when I experience strengths-induced euphoria. A choice of several times a week would have been closer to what I experience.

It's not that I skewed the numbers, as I have been a strengths-advocate since being introduced to the book, Now, Discover Your Strengths. Like many who have been moved by that book, it made things more clear why I am incredibly good at some things but atrocious at others. It resonates with my personal experience and with my journey for growth.

All I have to do is to allow myself to achieve greatest growth in the areas that are my strengths. Sure, that sounds counter-intuitive. It does break the myth. Is it true? Is it right? We shall see.

It certainly puts the reigns in my own hands and makes no one responsible for my success or failure other than myself. Darn, that is too awesome a responsibility and maybe too great a challenge.

I have begun the strengths movement for myself. Step One of the book awaits. I am ready to bust some myths. The one things about the approach is that I will have to do one step per week to get the full value. I will try to make this blog and this series of articles interesting even at the incredibly slow speed of one step per week. Marcus, I trust you, others, please be patient or better yet, become involved yourself. I will get very tired of reading or hearing my own thoughts (as will you all). Onward with the journey.

No comments: