Saturday, March 03, 2007

Coffee Shoppes in Princeton -- Small World Coffee

I was asked recently about my preference of coffee shoppes in Princeton with the choices being Bucks County, Starbucks, and the local entry, Small World Coffee. I thought this a great opportunity to exercise a little investigative journalism relating to something that is very important to fuel the modern manager/leader -- coffee.

Saturday morning I had occasion to reacquaint with Small World Coffee after a long time away. I used to come here frequently when I worked in Princeton as it seemed to have the most character of the local choices. It was much as I remember especially for a typical weekend morning in the village of Princeton. Noisy, bustling, an eclectic crowd from the schizophrenic populous, but also very good cafe latte and the type of dynamic atmosphere that caffeine inducement craves.

Now if you are hoping for a more serene coffee shoppe experience I would steer clear of Small World. I do remember a previous colleague who used to spend hours in the place while he was writing applications for business school. Hunter Middleton need not have worried about getting into the best business school as he was a double major as an undergraduate, with degrees in Math and Physics, and then got his Doctorate in Physics from Princeton. Not only that, he walked into the GMAT's and almost aced the damned thing. Good old Hunter...

OK, there are other memories from Small World, but that is enough of a trip down that lane for this exercise. I have always liked the Small World paraphernalia including the mugs and t-shirts. The motto, "Sleep is for the Weak," particularly resonates with me. Also the one Small World, Big Coffee, it says it all...

1 comment:

David Etherton said...

Black? Wow, you are a better man than me. I think you can call that Java or Joe.

I take mine with milk but no sugar. The dirty blond level of milk.

I have been having mostly cafe latte when I go places like Small World and Starbucks but I know what you mean about temperature. Now Dunkin, that is some scalding hot coffee.

I think I will extend my coffee shoppe investigation to other places as well beyond these three. It is a survey that needs to be done.

Please send me photos to help chronicle this piece of important journalism.